Pilates have become really popular in the recent years although it was created in the 1920s by the physical trainer Joseph Pilates.
This physical activity can be suitable for everyone, from beginner to advanced. You can use your own body weight, or do pilates exercices with the help of equipment (called Reformer Pilates). The benefits of Pilates are not only core strength and flexibility, but many others listed below:
- Improved posture: When doing Pilates, you pay a lot of attention to how your body parts are lined up in relation to each other. Pilates are the combination of good alignment supported by a strong core, and you will notice an improved stabilisation of your spine.
- Increased body awareness: Having a better posture when doing Pilates will also reflect in your everyday life, you will be more aware of the way you sit, walk, carry tings, etc. Pilates’ secret is about “the complete coordination of body, mind, and spirit” – practicing each movement with total attention in a way that is healthier for your body overall.
- Pilates trains the body as an integrated whole: Even though Pilates focuses in improving core strength, it also emphasizes full-body fitness – including proper breathing and clarity of mind.
- Increased muscle strength and tone without bulk: You will build toned muscles that will work perfectly within your body as a whole. A body with balanced strength is less likely to be injured.
- Pilates for anxiety relief and relaxation: Breathe control, oxygenates the blood which triggers the brain to relax. In other words, it provides a space for the mind to focus on the present moment, and creates a physiological response in the body that naturally decreases our stress and anxiety.
Before starting up a new exercise program, we recommend you to see your doctor for a check-up to assess your fitness level. At REVĪVŌ Wellness Resorts, our wellness coaches will create tailor-made programs suitable to your needs and objectives. Our centers offer Restorative Pilates, Fusion Pilates and Pilates for Golfers. If you’d like to know more, click here.